My weekends are a powerhouse of relaxation techniques. My favorite being cooking exotic dishes at home with an Indian twist. Last weekend I tried making healthy pasta at home. Healthy because it comprised of vegetables, tofu, whole wheat pasta and homemade pesto. Here’s the recipe, do try and let me know how you like it.
For the pasta (Serves 4)
Wholewheat pasta – one packet, I used Fabindia Orgnaics Pasta
Onions – 3, sliced
Tomato – 3, chopped
Garlic cloves – 4, crushed
Broccoli – 1 medium sized floret, chopped
Carrots – 2-3, sliced
Bell peppers – 2, chopped
Babycorn – one packet, chopped into halves
Chopped beans – 10-12
Tofu – 100gms, cut to 1/2 inch pieces
Olive oil – 3 tbsp
Salt & Pepper – to taste
For the pesto :
Fresh Basil – 500gms
Garlic cloves – 4-5
Walnuts or almonds- 1/2 cup
Virgin Olive oil – as per requirement
Rock Salt & Pepper – to taste
- Pre-prepare the pesto, it can be saved for later too. I usually make mine once a month. Whiz all the listed ingredients in a blender, keep adding olive oil till you achieve a smooth consistency. Refrigerate in a glass jar for future use.4
- Boil the pasta as per instructions on the packet. I like to add a tsp of salt to the water which prevents the pasta from sticking with each other.
- In a wok or non stick frying pan, heat olive oil, add onions and tomato and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes till the flavor gets immersed.
- Add all the vegetables and saute. My family like the vegetables crispy, so I keep them al dente. Feel free to completely cook your veggies if you like.
- Add the boiled and strained pasta to the vegetables, add another pinch of salt and the pesto sauce to the pan.
- Mix well and cook for 5 minutes so the flavors are well distributed.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve hot.
Here’s a step by step series of pictures. Let me know how do you make healthy pasta at home?